In order to foster and promote the awareness of space technologies and applications among students, EPFL offers since 2005 a Minor in Space Technologies, hosted by the Electrical Engineering and Electronics Section (SEL) but open to all the entire EPFL student community.
The main goals of the Minor in Space Technologies are:
- To offer students the possibility to strengthen their knowledge in the space area
- To promote space applications, technology and science based on the large interest raised by space
- To foster a strong teaching in the space sector in parallel to the development of academic and research projects at EPFL (e.g. SwissCube)
- The Minor may be taken by all the STI students (EL, MX, MT, GM) and the students from the Physics Section (PH).
- Students from other sections are more than welcome but prior authorisation from their Sections should be obtained.
- The Minor is only open to Master students who have selected a Master programme with at least 90 ETCS (European Credit Transfer System)
- A minimum of 30 ETCS are necessary to obtain the Minor, usually corresponding to one semester of study
- All the requirements for the Minor should be completed before the student starts his/her Master thesis (usually in the 4th semester of his/her Master studies)
- The student’s choice to select the Minor should be announced no later than two weeks after the beginning of the first semester of his/her Master studies
- The student’s choice should be confirmed before the end of the first semester of his/her Master studies
- A student is allowed to give up a Minor after being enrolled. However, in order to obtain his/her Master degree, the student will still have to satisfy the rules relative to the Master diploma determined by the “ordonnance du Contrôle des etudes” as well as those applicable to his/her section. In addition, the credits (ETCS) earned in the frame of the Minor may be transferred to the necessary requirements to earn the Master degree as long as the student’s Section allows for it. The credits earned in the frame of the Minor which are not valid for the requirements to earn the Master degree will be lost.
In order to obtain the Minor, a student will have to get at least 30 ETCS (European Credit Transfer System) made out of:
- at least 18 ETCS for courses (to be selected out of a list of 79 ETCS)
- 12 ETCS for a project
It should be noted that the classes taken by a student in the frame of the Minor are considered as a “group”. Hence the student has to obtain a mark of at least 4.0 for each of them.
List of courses
A list of all the courses offered in the frame of the Minor is shown the following document (link below). By clicking on the name of the lecture, the corresponding course syllabus will be shown. Be careful, some classes have a weekly repetition cycle (2 hours/week) but a few will be given only biweekly (4 hours every other week) in order to fit the schedule of the external lecturers.
The students will have to choose among a list of courses which are strongly recommended due to the fact they are entirely dedicated to space (shown in green in the document) and a list of existing EPFL courses which will be slightly adapted to emphasise some space aspects. This means that at least lectures yielding a total of 18 ETCS would have to be selected among all the lectures proposed.
Note: some classes are marked as “mandatory” for students who follow them in their major. In the case of the Minor in Space Technologies, classes are optional.
Each student planning to take the Minor will have to select a project equivalent to 12 ETCS. A list of topics will be made available by eSpace at the beginning of the term or could be proposed by a lab (as long as the project is space related). It is highly recommended to take the project after the classes, i.e. in the third semester of Master. Once the title of the project has been selected and agreed with the person in charge of the project, the student needs to register for the project on the IS-Academia site.
Please note: it is mandatory that you fill the form below
In order to register for the Minor in Space Technologies, the following steps must be undertaken:
- The student fills the registration form for the Minor in Space Technologies 2019-2020 and select the classes they wish to follow
- They should take (18 ECTS) in the frame of the minor as well as a potential project to fulfill the requirements 12 credits
- This form should be sent by email to Candice Norhadian.
- The student registers on IS-Academia for the minor and corresponding classes.
- Deadline: the student’s registration should be done before the end of the first semester of his/her Master studies
Please contact Candice Norhadian for questions regarding the selected classes.