This project is a collaboration with the HEIG-VD, ClearSpace and the EPFL labs CVLab, ESL and RGLab. ClearSpace will build and operate a commercially viable solution to address failed satellites and prevent the proliferation of debris that could endanger future space operations. The aim of the project is to develop digital AI-based technologies for relative navigation and rendezvous with the targets.
- Relative navigation (estimation of the 6 degree of freedom of a Target object) and radar R&D
- Bring the technology maturity from a TRL 3 to TRL 4 (alpha version for the relative pose estimation and a tested prototype for the radar)
lmpulse-SpaceRelNav: Relative Navigation technologies for Failed Satellite Removal (Application no. 38398, lP-lCT)
Capture System Concept Validation
ClearSpace is building up a service to remove debris from space. ClearSpace proposes to develop the key technologies needed for a successful capture in this Innosuisse project, to guarantee that a high TRL can be reached quickly and in a most efficient way through the use of the knowhow of the research partners such as CSEM and EPFL labs LSMS and Rehassist. The project increases the TRL from 2 to 4 for the proximity and contact sensing system, and the tentacle control to reach a robust adaptronic capture system design.
Capture Dynamics Simulation Tool which allows:
- Simulating relative movement and dynamics of target/chaser
- Predicting stresses within the capture system
- Simulating the motions of the arms
- Control Algorithms
Capture System Concept Validation (Application no. 44145.1, lP-lCT)