SNSF first MARVIS call
9 November 2022 - 1 February 2023
Submission deadline: 01.02.2023
The SNSF launches the Multidisciplinary Applied Research Ventures in Space (MARVIS) call. With this scheme, we promote consortia projects that explore space.
On 1 February 2022, the Federal Council adopted the Ordinance on the Promotion of National Activities in the Space Sector (NASO). Based on NASO, the SNSF launches the first MARVIS call, through a mandate by the State Secretariat for Education, Research and Innovation (SERI). It has an annual budget of up to CHF 3.5 Mio CHF. The SERI plans to mandate calls every 2-4 years.
A MARVIS project is eligible for funding if the following criteria are met:
- It is a research or innovation project in the space sector that is of national importance.
- Its multidisciplinary character is mirrored by a consortium that consists of at least two higher education research centres and at least one national or international industrial partner.
- One or several of the higher education research centres are responsible for the project.
- It has a network of organisations and institutions that goes beyond the members of the consortium.
The evaluation procedure will be performed in two steps:
- In Step 1 of the evaluation, the scientific-technical quality of the project is evaluated by the SNSF. This evaluation is based on the project outline, which consists of the research plan complemented with the CVs as well as the supplementary documents. Based on the Step 1 evaluation, the SNSF submits a recommendation to SERI, as well as an assessment of the alignment of the projects with ESA activities.
- In Step 2 of the evaluation, the SERI will evaluate the project according to the space, research and innovation policy. For this, the project plan is made accessible to SERI. This project plan consists of the project outline complemented with detailed information on the requested funding.